The King House Association grew out of a meeting of interested Middle Village/Good Hart community residents convened by Carolyn Sutherland, Jane Cardinal, and Connie Cobb in December 2014. Responding to an opportunity to purchase the last standing original Odawa home in Middle Village, the group agreed to form a nonprofit organization named The King House Association which would purchase and preserve the house for the benefit of the community.
The House, which had remained in the King Family since its construction in the mid-1800’s, had undergone significant renovation in the early 1980’s to make it structurally sound while preserving its authenticity. This was an historic preservation opportunity not to be missed.
The King House Association was incorporated by the State of Michigan in January 2015 (# 71624F) and recognized as a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization by the IRS (#47-2866953) in February 2015. Officers and friends of the Association successfully raised sufficient funding to close on a land contract purchase agreement with King family descendants that was filed with the Register of Deeds in October 2015 (L:1180 P:635).
Raising the funds needed to purchase the House.
Sponsoring activities to introduce the community to the House and working with historic preservation experts to analyze the structural and restoration needs of the House in accordance with national standards for the Preservation of Historic Properties.
Developing and issuing an RFP for the restoration work and applying for grants to help cover restoration costs.
Finalizing a restoration scope of work and raising the funds needed to carry out the restoration of the core structure of the House.
Planning for ways to use the House as a site for as a site for telling the story of Middle Village/Good Hart.